Integrating Shopify with your LMS
We are excited to share that Academy of Mine integrates with Shopify. Shopify allows its users to set up an eCommerce store with custom website and theme, manage customer orders and payments, and sell products worldwide. Integrating with Shopify means being able to sell courses of your LMS directly through your Shopify store by mapping your Shopify products to AOM courses and provide direct course enrollment for purchasers.
Below are the steps required to activate and configure the Shopify Integration:
- Set up your Shopify App credentials
- Change your store checkout settings
- Add your Shopify App credentials to the AOM LMS
- Map your AOM LMS course with a Shopify product
Setting up your Shopify App credentials
Integrating Shopify with Academy of Mine will require a Shopify Private App and Private app credentials like API key, password, Shared Key, and Shopify store address. Detailed instructions for creating Shopify Private Apps can be found in the Shopify Developer Documentation but we will go over the high-level steps here.
- To start you need to log into https://accounts.shopify.com and proceed to your store (If you have not created a Shopify store yet, you need to create one). You will be redirected to the Shopify Admin page after login. Click on Apps in the sidebar on the left.
- Click on Manage private apps as shown in the image below, and the Enable private app development.
- Now you need to select all checkboxes and click on Enable private app development once more.
- You will be redirected to a Private apps page after enabling the private app development. Now you want to click on Create private app.
- You should see a form with header "Create private app". Complete the fields accordingly and click on Save to submit the details.
Private app name: Name of the app (you can use any name you prefer).
Emergency developer email: The email used for developer communication.
Show inactive Admin API Permission: You need to allow Read and Write permissions to this app. Select Customers, Orders, Products and Product Listings as shown in the 2nd image below.
Admin API PermissionsClick on Save and then on Create app.
- You will be redirected to your newly created app page. Go to the Admin API section and copy the API key, Password, and Shared Secret and store it somewhere (you will need it later to configure the settings in the LMS).
Change your Store checkout settings
- Click on Settings which can be found all the way at the bottom of the sidebar on the left, and then click on Checkout.
- You should see a Checkout settings page. Make the changes as shown below and click on Save.
a. Inside the "Customer accounts" section, select the "Accounts are required" option.
b. Inside the "Customer contact" section, select the "Customers can only check out using email" option.
Adding your Shopify App credentials to AOM LMS
- Return to your Academy of Mine Admin Dashboard and locate the Shopify Integration which can be found on the Integrations page of your dashboard (Integrations can be found in the sidebar on the left of the Admin Dashboard). Toggle the enable switch and select Manage to navigate to your Shopify store in Academy of Mine.
- Now you will need to provide your Shopify store name, API Key, Password and Shared key which you have already created while registering our the app in first section of this article. Copy and paste those values in the appropriate fields and click the Save button to connect Shopify with your AOM LMS.
- Congratulations! You should now see an alert indicating the settings have been updated successfully, and Shopify is connected to your LMS. We can now link our courses to Shopify products.
Map your AOM LMS course with a Shopify Product
- Go to the create/edit page of a Course you want to link to a Shopify product. In the Basic Info (Step 1) tab of the course creationg/edit process you will find a "Shopify Product" field at the bottom. Here you can select all the Shopify Products that should enroll a purchaser in this course. You can also choose to create a completely new Shopify Product right from the dropdown if you wish. After selecting all the Products that should give access to this course, be sure to Save/Update the
- Now we are officially done! Anytime somebody will purchase the specified Shopify Products, they will automatically be enrolled in the course in your AOM LMS. If the purchase is made by a new user, their account will first be created and then they will be enrolled. If the New Account and Course Enrollment email triggers are enabled in your LMS, they will receive their credentials there as well as an email with the courses they are enrolled into. Learn more about automated emails in Introduction to Automated Emails.