Adding a User
Whether you're brand new and getting set up or just wanting to add a new employee or student, if you're needing to add a new user of any kind to your platform, you've come to the right place. There are several types of roles that you can add the user as: Admin, Group Admin, Instructor and Student--plus you can create a custom role as well if needed. The Admin can easily add any kind of new user individually from the Admin Dashboard using the steps laid out in this article. Keep in mind, user profiles will be automatically created if a student self-enrolls in a course by purchasing a product.
If you need a review of the user role types more closely or want to create a custom role, take a look at this User Roles and Permissions article.
For bulk enrolling a large number of Students into a course at once, the Bulk Upload option is perhaps the best route as it allows the creation and enrollment of large numbers of student using an Excel file.
If the Account Creation email trigger has been enabled, once the user account has been created, the person in question will be notified via an automated email. This Account Creation email is send out any time a user is created, whether via the Single Add, Bulk Upload method, or when self-registering.
In this article
Adding an Individual User
To add a single user, follow these steps:
- From the Admin Dashboard, click Users and choose All Users
- On the All Users page, select the Add User button in the top right.
- Fill in the field for First Name, Last Name, and Email.
- In the Password field, choose a password for your new user. We recommend a password that is between 6 and 22 characters long with at least one lowercase, uppercase, number, and symbol. The password you choose will be shared with the new user in the Account Creation email. It is always recommended that they change their password immediately after logging in for the first time.
- In the Select Role field, you will need to choose what type of user you will be creating. You can create an Admin, Group Admin, Instructor or a Student. When looking to create Group Admins, we always recommend to create a Group Admin while creating a Group. This ensures that no Group Admin exists without being tied to a Group (which is needed to generate their Dashboard). For more information on user roles and permissions, please review our guide: User Roles and Permissions.
- Select Save User to complete the user creation.
Bulk Uploading Users
If you have many users to upload to a Group or Membership Plan, or want to bulk enroll many users to a course, the Bulk Upload option is a quick way to do so! Before you upload these users, you'll need to make sure that they are in the correct file type and format. You can upload an Excel spreadsheet of the users, formatted with the headers/column names as 'Email, First_Name, Last_Name, Password' as seen below.. If you do not enter information in the Password column, a password will be auto-generated.
Once your spreadsheet of users is formatted correctly, follow these steps to upload the users into a Group or Membership, or bulk enroll them into a course:
- From the Admin Dashboard, select Users and choose Bulk Upload.
- Drop your Excel file with the users in the upload box, or click to upload.
- Select where you want these users to be uploaded to.
- You may upload them directly into your account without enrolling them if you don't select a group or courses
- If you want to upload them to a Group, select the Group want to add them to, as well as the courses if you want to enroll them in.
- If you want to add them to a Membership, select "I will use Membership plan" and choose the Membership.
- If you want to enroll them in a course/courses without adding them to a Group, leave the Group field blank and simply choose what courses you want to enroll them in.
- Click Upload Users
New Account Automated Email
Now, let's learn more about what is included in the automated email a user will receive once they have been added. By default, the new user will be notified via automated email that an account was created for them. The New Account automated email will be sent immediately following the user creation--whether the user is self-enrolled or you create their user.
Note: The New Account email can be resent! If you ever need to resend a New Account email to a student, head into their user profile and click "Resend New Account Email". This will generate a brand new password for user which will be included in the New Account email.
To view or adjust the New Account email template:
- From the Admin Dashboard, choose Settings, then select Email.
- Choose the Accounts tab across the top, and you'll land on the New Account email template.
- Here, you can customize the email template as you see fit via the Subject, Email Heading, and Additional Content!
- Note the Shortcodes under the Additional Content box--the shortcodes are dynamic fields that will be automatically filled with the corresponding information for that user. You can any of those into your message if you'd like.
- You can also choose to enable or disable the template via the Enable toggle.
- To view a preview of what the users will see, click Send Test Email
- Click Save Template when you're done
Once you've saved your template, the New Account automated email will be delivered to the new user in its completed form, using the content provided in the template as well as the General Email settings such as the theme color and the banner, like this:
For more information on the other automated emails, please review our guide: Automated Email Settings.
The next step is optional for clients as not all will be leveraging our Groups feature. For clients that do provide their courses to other organizations or business in bulk, use the following article to learn more about this process: